Tuesday, April 28, 2015
Spring has finally began in Minnesota, so between spring break, spring cleaning, spring yard work and the beginning of school and travel baseball, life is going at hyperspace mode. Sadly all the busyness doesn't leave much time for sewing. I did want share the last few months of bee blocks that I have sewn for members of my bee in the Minneapolis Modern Quilt Guild. Above are solstice star blocks for Rose in her chosen gray, brown and caramel palette. I used Faiths' instructions and these sewed up quite nicely despite their intimidating look.
The double hearts are for another member that is going to embroider conversation heart sayings in red floss in the center for a Valentine's quilt.
No matter all that is going on, I do hope to squeeze some sewing time into my calendar. With the end of the school year on the horizon, I feel the mad to need to get as many finishes in before my time is not my own any longer... (Anyone else get that panic of productivity at the end of the year?)
Friday, April 10, 2015
The last few months I have been cleaning cabinets and closets, trying to get it all done before spring really even starts here in Minnesota. (Once warmer weather hits, I'm ready to get outside!) This is one of my cabinet pullouts that I keep several pans in...it's rather full but they each have their purpose.
This is what it looked like before...
Both this cabinet and the pullouts that I keep serving plates & platters in were a hot mess of wrinkly old paper towels. I was tired of dealing with the paper towels every time I got something out of these cabinets, so I decided to remedy the situation with some pretty flannel.
I wrote a short tutorial for these plate pads so if you'd like to spiff up your cabinets too, you can download it here!
I am linking up with Amanda Jean today...
I am linking up with Amanda Jean today...
Friday, February 20, 2015
This is my abbreviated finish for last years Minneapolis Modern QG Mystery. I started out with a rather traditional palette for a modern design as I was planning on giving the quilt for a gift and had their decor in mind. I found the fabrics didn't really work for all the blocks so I ended up changing the larger center block and the layout to work with what I had. I ended up with a 60" square throw that was given to its' intended recipient so would call the project a success.
Last weekend we went up north and rented a cabin for the long weekend and my husband and the boys got some ice fishing it and I took advantage of the setting to get photos of this finish before it was gifted away.
In the MplsMQG Flickr group, you can see photos of many of the full size quilt finishes as designed by Kristin of a Little Crispy, and in many different color ways.
I am linking up with Amanda Jean at Finish It Up Friday.
Thursday, February 19, 2015
This year in the Minneapolis Modern Quilt Guild we have divided up into bee groups for those that were interested. I did a bee with flickr friends a few years ago and thought it was a great skill builder and exposure to others ideas and tastes that might be different than your own, so when this opportunity came up signed on quickly.
This month my group (#Sew2Bee2 on instagram) made wonky citrus pineapple blocks for Rozina. These are the blocks I made...I like to document the blocks here as they are fun to look back on for future ideas of how to use different blocks and see all the colorways. Now if only our Minnesota weather was as warm as this palette?
Friday, January 16, 2015
In the previously mentioned interest of improving my zipper skills, I made a Zip Strips pouch from Terry Atkinson's Cash & Carry pattern. Terry is known great directions and diagrams so I thought per pattern would be a good place to start. The pouch came together easily and I was pleased with the way the top turned out save a little wiggle in the straightness of the zipper.
And the ends came out looking very neat.
The panels are done in a quilt as you fashion and then finished inside. For my next attempt, I'd like to have a fully lined pouch and have this good of luck with the zipper install.
I am linking up this uber small finish with Amanda Jean's Finish it up Friday.
Friday, January 2, 2015
After the first drawstring bag I made turned out so well, I decided to make a few more! I made this set of three for my infant nephew, I thought they would work well for organizing toys in the car, packing bigger items like blankets, or packages of diapers/wipes in the car for road trips. From Jeni's pattern I made the laundry bag, the artist's bag and everything bag. The fabric is fromthe Rocket Scientist collection by Keri Beyer.
I also made a few pair of pajamas for the same nephew with my favorite pattern, Kwik Sew 2315. I think the pattern has been discontinued since the ownership change but you can still find it pretty easily. I have always preferred Kwik Sew patterns for sewing for kids as their sizing has been spot on and like the basic styles, but will be interested to see how their new patterns (under new ownership) compare.
I am linking up with Amanda Jean for Finish It Friday.
Tuesday, December 30, 2014
I might just be the last person on the planet to sew up Jeni's, Lined Drawstring Bag. Well, I certainly have to agree with all the other rave reviews, it is a very well written pattern. There are a many sizes of the bag included in the pattern and it was very clear as to yardage needed for each and also what sizes to cut each piece of fabric.
Anyway, I whipped up this bag as a project bag for a knitter out of some Lecien Esso linen and Amy Butler fabrics that I had on hand and was very pleased. This is another item that goes on the definitely to repeat project list.
I am linking up with Connie @ FreeMotion by the River today...