I finally had a chance to sit down with my zig zag quilt yesterday now that my other quilt is off to the machine quilter. Since I had last worked on this I have thinking about the quilting stage. I plan to do this myself and in the interest of it being manageable I decided to cut down the layout to 12 x 16 squares, so about 54x72 (originally I cut for 72" square). I had four rows of half square triangle blocks already assembled, so yesterday I joined the blocks into 4 rows and then pieced the rows to get to where I am at as pictured above. This is the bottom fourth of the quilt.
I know many of the others in the quilt along chose to press their seams open to reduce some of the bulk. Unfortunately this doesn't follow the quilting plan I have, so I know I'm going to have to go in and clip a bit and am hoping that alone will do the trick otherwise I'll be back to square one with the quilting quandary.
Since life as been rather busy and impeding my sewing time, I thought I'd include a photo of one of the things that has been keeping me busy...gardening. In this part of the country you have to enjoy the warm weather when you get it as too soon if will be quite cold out!
This is one of Pamela Crawfords side planting baskets... I just love them. You can learn more about them here. This year I used the new Magnimoist liner developed by the University of Minnesota and they have done especially well.
Thanks for stopping by, I'm off to try to get a bit more sewing in before naptime ends!