I really like to cut out fabric so I hadn't given the Go cutter much thought until I read Julie's review in which she tested the drunkards path die since that was not so easily cut with a rotary cutter. A light bulb went off in my head, oh how perfect to get a Go for cutting those pieces not conducive to a standard ruler...
I needed to make several blocks for the 3rd quarter of the 3x6 Sampler Bee, so I thought that it was the perfect test for the Blazing Star die. The instructions are VERY well written and clear. The die can cut 6 shapes: two background shapes, two background star shapes and two front star shapes. The number of each shapes is clearly specified and if cutting right side up/or wrong side down is needed to generate your block. The blocks assemble into quarter units and then finally the 12.5" block
Here is a color layout of what the die will cut, this is the front of the package:
You can faintly see the shapes on the die here:
The instructions directed what size of rectangles of fabric were needed for each section of the block. Here is a section of fabric face down on the die ready to cut... I kept the directions handy to keep me on track.
Place the mat over the die and roll in though... so simple.
Here I am pulling the mat off and you can see the cut shapes.
And here is the finished product, 6 blocks for my fellow bee members and one for myself...
So what did I think? Probably the most prevalent factor in my case... did you see those yellow gloves I had on in the photo? Well, I think I am allergic to the surface of the die as I am allergic to either latex or one of the chemicals used in its processing. So once I started to itch, I washed up and wore gloves from then on. This worked for me but anyone with a more serious allergy should contact Accuquilt, I am waiting for an email back as to the exact content of the mats surface. Save that statistically rare occurrence, it worked like a dream to cut out all those pieces so quickly. Like otherwise, you must be careful with bias edges. Next time I would iron and use best press on the pieces first...the Kaffe shot cotton I used in the darker block stretched like crazy.
I intend to used the 5" square block for larger scraps. It is easy to cut the squares out of yardage, but it will be nice just to slap a large scrap on the die to see if I can get a charm square out of it or not... and this will be perfect for my 4 year old who is wanting so badly to try this out!
The Dresden die is the one I am most looking forward to... I will share that once it arrives and I have a chance to play with it. For more info on the Accuquilt, check out their website and facebook page for contests, too. I think there is going to be a big announcement tomorrow!